Friday, February 3, 2012

Oakland's Vinyl Vault - Darkness on the Edge of Town

Hello again! This week, I will be looking and listening to Darkness on the Edge of Town by the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.



Release Date: June 2, 1978
Singles: Prove It All Night, Badlands

I have to admit, this is an album that I rarely listen to. One of the reasons I wanted to do this project of reviewing all my albums was to force myself to actually listen to all my albums, instead of just my favorite ones.

This album is raw Springsteen. The cover says it all. Working-class guy from Jersey. Things may seem good, but there's darkness on the edge of town (get it?). If this album were a baseball player, it would be Nick Punto. Gritty. White. Underrated. Announcers/music critics all love it. There's no hit single on this album, no star (I mean, can you tell me how "Prove It All Night" goes, because I can't and I just listened to the damn thing!).

This album is a true album, not just a collection of songs. It has a theme. I've always felt that Springsteen gets somewhat overlooked as one of the great American songwriters. But I say, if he's good enough for Joe Posnanski, he's good enough for me!

Rating: 7 thumbs up - Great listen, solid all the way through. Springsteen's passion really comes through. I think I'm going to have to put this one into the regular rotation.

And now, without further ado, that "hit" single, Prove It All Night. Enjoy!



Pat Is Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment