Thursday, April 11, 2013

Oakland's Vinyl Vault - Graceland

Sorry for the long delay between posts, kids, but I promise to try to be better about it in the near future (not that anyone but me cares).  Anyway, right now I'm once again reaching into the ol' Vault!  And the winner is... Graceland, by Paul Simon.

Release Date: August 12, 1986
Singles: You Can Call Me Al, Graceland, The Boy in the Bubble, Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

What do you do if you're a once legendary singer/songwriter and your career looks like it's heading for years of tours singing the same 12 songs over and over?  You get your ass on a plane to a country with an oppressive government and work with local musicians to make a goddamn hit album named after the home of a celebrity!  At least, that's what Paul Simon did, and it certainly worked for him.

Graceland is a fun album that mixes pop-rock music with South African music.  The result is surprisingly good, and solidified Simon's reputation as one of the great songwriters of his generation.  The album is highlighted by the lead single, "You Can Call Me Al," but for me it is songs like "I Know What I Know," "Homeless," and "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" that separate this album from its peers.  Listening to it today, it does not sound like it was made in the heart of the '80s, which is obviously a huge plus.

Rating: 5 hip shakes - I have no idea what this album has to do with Elvis or Graceland, but I do know that I enjoy listening to it and I'd recommend anybody out there to give it a spin.

And now, here's the official music video for "You Can Call Me Al."  God, I love music videos from the '80s.



Pat is crazy.

1 comment:


  1. I want to share this wonderful testimony to the Good people all over the world on how I was able to Enlarge my Penis by Dr. Aziba. I was living a shameful life from my young age, just last month as I was browsing on the internet about Penis size and Enlargement Products, I saw a testimony of a Man called George , testifying of how he was able to get his penis Enlarged by Dr. Aziba and I decided to also Email Dr. Aziba for my small penis size and he quickly respond to me and gave me the normal instructions which i did and then he shipped the product to me here in the united state which i received in just 3 working days and today i am very happy because i started seeing positive changes in my penis size in just 7 days of use. Dr Aziba herbal product is the best recommended for you and to whom ever suffering from this shame or having any other diseases as well should Contact this great herbal doctor via his Email : Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com and WhatsApp Him on +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete