Friday, May 24, 2013

Star Trek Into an Inexplicably Precise Point of Darkness

I recently went to see the new Star Trek movie, and although it was a generally entertaining movie, one thing about it really bothered me: the coordinate system used.  In the film, a key plot point is when Kirk is given a set of coordinates: (23, 17, 46, 11).  Notice anything strange about those coordinates?

Here are my thoughts:

1.  Why in the hell are there 4 numbers?

Space is, of course, three dimensional, and therefore it would make sense to map it using 3 coordinates.  So what's up with that fourth number?  What does it stand for?  After much thought, I concluded that the fourth number could plausibly be the number of the "sector."  Space being very large, it makes sense to break it up into sectors to make the mapping more manageable.  I can accept this.  But it brings me to my next point.

2.  Why in the hell are the numbers so small?

What units are these numbers in?  I'd imagine that the area (volume?) described by such a set of numbers would be enormous.  I guess it could just be describing a point near the origin ((0, 0, 0, 11) or whatever).  Seems unlikely.

Mapping space is hard.  Things are moving all the time.  Orbits and whatnot.  I would think it would be best to set your reference points to relatively stationary objects such as stars, and not planets.  And that the location of planets would be kept in some sort of guide that would list the coordinates of the planets at various times.

In the movie, by the way, the location ends up being a moon of Jupiter.  Wouldn't it have been much simpler to just say that? "Why don't you see what's happening near Europa?"

KAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 comments:

  1. The furth coordinate could be a measure of time, indicating when the other three dimensions were valid. But yeah, why they are so short, that's a function of very bad science. (Not that Star Trek is really "good" science...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously need to get a life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says the person commenting on a nearly year old post on a random blog...

      Delete
    2. To question 1: Maybe the forth number is time bases since Jupiter is in relative motion in space. Three coordinates determines the orbital location and the forth, the exact position in the orbit.

      Question 2: Maybe the numbers are so small because they are measured in astronomical units. Alpha centauri is about 4.2 light years away from us: That number looks so small; don't you think?

      Delete
  3. my friend just brought this up! i buy that sector as being the meaning of the fourth number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the numbers back ward. illuminati is all about backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You idiots, it is not coordinance's. 23 is chromosomes, 46 is 46 pairs of chromosomes. I have not figured out the other two numbers but that is what it is about because when he gave those numbers they were discussing how he was a super human. It is a message about dna idiots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a complete idiot. End your life please. DNA? Just because it happens to equal the # doesn't mean you know everything. What an idiot. Stupid... Dumb... Whatever you prefer. Just give up. #wish I would have seen this sooner..../ Haha give up on everything.

      Delete
  6. The world is a fucking asshole

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm retired, indoors when it's cold outside, waiting for dinner, watching the movie and multi-tasking... but "Anon" on 25 Feb 2014 was right. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been awhile since anyone commented on this... What if anon from July 29, 2014 is right... It is Illuminati which means it is backwards... Would mean the coordinates would lead us to Yemen in the gulf of Aden... What if that is where they are housing the ships for us to begin? In the water just like shown at the beginning of the movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have successfully blown my mind! I'm just going to go play with my NCC 1701 model now and try to forget about this. Kirk out.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about this. First three numbers are the X,Y,Z coordinates in space with Sol as the origin (0,0). We think we're the center of the galaxy. The fourth number is a representative unit of distance from the star designating the orbit of the planet. Scanners are more than capable of finding the target once you've arrived at that destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

      Delete

  12. I want to share this wonderful testimony to the Good people all over the world on how I was able to Enlarge my Penis by Dr. Aziba. I was living a shameful life from my young age, just last month as I was browsing on the internet about Penis size and Enlargement Products, I saw a testimony of a Man called George , testifying of how he was able to get his penis Enlarged by Dr. Aziba and I decided to also Email Dr. Aziba for my small penis size and he quickly respond to me and gave me the normal instructions which i did and then he shipped the product to me here in the united state which i received in just 3 working days and today i am very happy because i started seeing positive changes in my penis size in just 7 days of use. Dr Aziba herbal product is the best recommended for you and to whom ever suffering from this shame or having any other diseases as well should Contact this great herbal doctor via his Email : Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com and WhatsApp Him on +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s a “short code” that represents a real coordinate in a uniform system. Like the google maps geo codes.

    ReplyDelete