Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Nicknames

I'm watching game 1 of the World Series right now (I had to turn the sound off to avoid shooting myself in the head - thanks Joe Buck and Tim McCarver). The Giants are winning pretty handily, so we probably won't see the subject of this post, Brian Wilson.

A Giants fan friend of mine recently called Brian Wilson "B-Wils." This is an awful nickname. Anytime you take a person's first initial, and combine it with the first syllable of their last name, you're going to get a pretty shit-tacular nickname (sorry, J-Hen). So here's my idea for a nickname for Brian Wilson: Vibes.

Here's how I got there:

Brian Wilson, crazy pitcher -> Brian Wilson, crazy musician
Brian Wilson, crazy musician -> Beach Boys
Beach Boys -> Good Vibrations
Good Vibrations -> Vibes (since nicknames should be short, 2 syllable max)

Or if you prefer something along the "Torture*" line, how about calling him Gitmo, or Cheney.

I don't know. Pat is crazy.

*In case you aren't aware, Giants manager, Bruce Bochy, referred to watching Brian Wilson save games as "torture" because he usually puts a few guys on base before recording the last out.

No comments:

Post a Comment