Monday, November 1, 2010

Ice Squids Game 1 - Wasn't That Just a Warm-up?

Well, friends, the Ice Squids (aka Warriors) season has officially started! Our first game was this Saturday against the hated Sled Dogs, and unfortunately television coverage was blacked out locally since it was not a sell-out crowd so I'll have to just go on my memory of how the game went.

The Squids rolled 3 forward lines and 5 defensemen. The top line featured myself and Joe U on the wings. In the first period, the Squids really got their legs under them, were first to the puck, and won the battles down low. The only goal of the period was scored by our own Joe U. I controlled the puck behind the Sled Dog net, and somehow managed to get the puck to our centerman, Nate, in the slot. Nate's shot clanked off the crossbar, but Joe U, ever diligent, crashed the net and put in the rebound. He was rewarded by having a 200 lbs. Sled Dog sit on top of him for a couple minutes.

The second period was largely uneventful, as both teams looked rather tired, which was to be expected after a long off-season of drinking and, well, more drinking. The best scoring chance of the period came from yours truly, when I gathered up a rebound. I was all alone in front, and all I could think was, "Oh my god. Puck. I must shoot." And so I rushed the shot and did not get everything on it. For my efforts, I was rewarded by the AHA making sure that everybody knew that I did not have a goal:


Screw you, AHA

Overall, it was a good start to the season. It took a couple shifts to get settled in, but as the game went on we definitely started playing together better. I'm excited to get back on the ice next week. Joe U got the only goal for the Squids, and our line ended up a +1, so I'm fairly happy with the result.

Oh, I should also probably mention that we also played another period (before the other two I covered above), which I'm pretty sure was just a warm-up, but for some weird reason it still counted in the box score.

Final score: Squids 1, Sled Dogs 5

Pat is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment