Monday, July 22, 2013

Oakland's Vinyl Vault - Deja Vu

Another week, another album. I'm now getting a sense for the randomizer's taste in music. It is decidedly in favor of folk rock. I've mentioned its preference for Simon and Garfunkel before, but I overlooked the other signs. The Band, Buffalo Springfield, CSN(Y), and Mumford and Sons have all had their turns despite their relative scarcity in the Vault. So it should be no surprise today, then, that the randomizer has gone into the Vault and returned with some familiar faces. Four, to be precise: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. It's Deja Vu, in more ways than one.


Release date: March 11, 1970
Singles: Woodstock, Teach Your Children, Our House, Carry On

Now, I know what you're thinking. Haven't we heard these songs before? But don't worry, it's not deja vu. It's just that literally half of the songs on this album went on to appear on the most ridiculous of "greatest hits" albums of all time, So Far, which we covered earlier here on Pat Is Crazy.

So, thanks to the randomizer's lack of randomness, we should all be familiar with the sound of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and sometimes Young. This album is the pinnacle of that sound. A true masterpiece. The thing that I love about this album is that you get to hear the distinct voices of all four men in succession, as each of them got two songs: one on the front side and one on the back. The two remaining songs, "Woodstock" and "Everybody I Love You," were written by the then-girlfriend of Nash, Joni Mitchell (who we probably will hear from soon... damn randomizer), and old Buffalo Springfield band-mates, Stills and Young, respectively.

Rating: Ten thumbs up - This album is a perfect storm. All four band members were at the height of their powers - as evidenced by the fact that each of them released a hit solo album (which, again, all coming soon, I'm sure) not long after this album dropped. Do yourself a favor, and give this album a spin.

Now here's my favorite track, "Almost Cut My Hair." In case you can't tell which one of them wrote it, I'll give you a hint: he plays a pirate in the movie Hook.

1 comment:


  1. I want to share this wonderful testimony to the Good people all over the world on how I was able to Enlarge my Penis by Dr. Aziba. I was living a shameful life from my young age, just last month as I was browsing on the internet about Penis size and Enlargement Products, I saw a testimony of a Man called George , testifying of how he was able to get his penis Enlarged by Dr. Aziba and I decided to also Email Dr. Aziba for my small penis size and he quickly respond to me and gave me the normal instructions which i did and then he shipped the product to me here in the united state which i received in just 3 working days and today i am very happy because i started seeing positive changes in my penis size in just 7 days of use. Dr Aziba herbal product is the best recommended for you and to whom ever suffering from this shame or having any other diseases as well should Contact this great herbal doctor via his Email : Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com and WhatsApp Him on +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete