Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Oakland's Vinyl Vault - Bridge Over Troubled Water

The randomizer is at it again. Sometimes, you just have to give it what it wants. And what it wants this week: Bridge Over Troubled Water, by Simon and Garfunkel.


Release date: January 26, 1970
Singles: The Boxer, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Cecilia, El Condor Pasa (If I Could)

Yes, it's more Simon & Garfunkel. Today's entry, Bridge Over Troubled Water, was the last studio album released by the pair, and without question their best. This album does a great job of mixing in uptempo songs with the more classic Simon & Garfunkel folk-rock tunes.

One thing I really love about this album is the that, in a way, this is Paul Simon's farewell letter to Art Garfunkel (though Garfunkel didn't know it). This is most apparent in "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright," a tune ostensibly written about the famous architect (Garfunkel studied architecture before becoming a musician). In reality, Simon was paying tribute to his partnership with Garfunkel, which he could see was coming to an end. The other notable break-up song is "The Only Living Boy in New York," which Simon wrote while Garfunkel was away making the Catch-22 movie.

Rating: 8 thumbs up - For anyone unfamiliar with Simon & Garfunkel, this is the album to get. A great album all the way through, and the perfect album to go out on. Only the Beatles' Abbey Road rivals it for best final album (and yes, I know Let It Be was technically their last album, but Abbey Road was the last one they wrote).

"So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright," is my favorite track from the album, but I won't play it here. If you're unfamiliar with that song, I encourage you to look it up. Instead I will cheat a little, and play two songs: "Bye Bye Love" and "Song For the Asking." Enjoy.

1 comment:


  1. I want to share this wonderful testimony to the Good people all over the world on how I was able to Enlarge my Penis by Dr. Aziba. I was living a shameful life from my young age, just last month as I was browsing on the internet about Penis size and Enlargement Products, I saw a testimony of a Man called George , testifying of how he was able to get his penis Enlarged by Dr. Aziba and I decided to also Email Dr. Aziba for my small penis size and he quickly respond to me and gave me the normal instructions which i did and then he shipped the product to me here in the united state which i received in just 3 working days and today i am very happy because i started seeing positive changes in my penis size in just 7 days of use. Dr Aziba herbal product is the best recommended for you and to whom ever suffering from this shame or having any other diseases as well should Contact this great herbal doctor via his Email : Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com and WhatsApp Him on +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete