Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Oakland's Vinyl Vault - Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Sometimes bands take a sharp left turn. This week, we take a look at one classic example of that, with the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo.


Release date:August 30, 1968
Singles: You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, I am a Pilgrim

Before Sweetheart of the Rodeo was released, the Byrds had shown some country influences, but nobody expected this. New band member Gram Parsons joined the band essentially to replace David Crosby, and he soon took over the band and steered them much further into country music. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is typically classified as "country-rock," but I would say, by today's standards, there is very little "rock" in there.

If you do not like country music, then definitely skip this album. It is not for you. I am not a big fan of country music. I don't avoid it necessarily, but I also never look in the "country" section of the record store for anything other than Johnny Cash, who really transcends the genre. Honestly, I think this one is a little too country for me. I've listened to it a few times in the last week of so, and it is starting to grow on me a little, and I can see why the album is so highly acclaimed by the critics, but in the end it's just not my cup of tea. I do think that country music fans would enjoy it though.

Rating: 5 seconds - I'll start off by saying that I think this album was ahead of its time, and I can see why it is regarded as such an influential album. But I also see why fans of the Byrds were confused. That said, I could see this album being a good fit for relaxing on the porch of your ranch and drinking some whiskey, and watching the sun go down over the plains.

Now, sit back and enjoy the Gram Parsons' penned "One Hundred Years From Now," which, to give you an idea of the rest of the album, is the song that leans the most toward the "rock" side of country-rock.



Pat is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment